Sunday, August 1, 2010

Wall Clock - Only in Your Dreams

It was a very wintry morning in the upper Midwest. The night before it had snowed about 8 inches of the white powdery stuff. It's 6:00AM and I'm out in my driveway shoveling the snow to clear the way for my car.

It took me about 2 hours to complete the snow removal job around the outside of my home. And like always, I shovel off the snow around my retired neighbor's house. Agnes is 78 years old and she just doesn't have the strength to handle the snow removal anymore. She always invited me in (after I shovel around her house) for a cup of hot coco.

Well this day was no different than the past. When I finished shoveling around Agnes's house, she stuck her head out the front door and invited me in. You know, hot coco always tastes best after a good workout in the winter snow.

During my visit with Agnes, she said that she had a wall clock in her living room that stopped running. She said that the batteries must have gone dead. So we both went into the living room and sure enough, the large wall clock in the living room was not running. I proceeded to remove the clock from the wall and changed the batteries with batteries Agnes had already bought. She was so pleased that the clock on her living room wall is now running again.

Next thing you know, my cell phone is ringing. It's my mother. She said that she had a dentist appointment and that when she went to start her car, the car would not start. I told her I would come over to her house and give her a ride to the dentist. When I got over to my mother's house, we had no time to spare, so we got in my car and drove off to her dentist appointment.

It was on the way to the dentist, my mother mentioned that the clock in her kitchen was not working. I told my mother that when we got back to her house, I would check to see if the batteries are dead and replace them if they are dead. When I mentioned batteries, my mother said that it would also be a good idea to pick up some new batteries at the hardware store on the way home from the dentist. She also said it would be a good idea to change the batteries in all her smoke and gas detectors. I said that I would do all the battery changing when we get back to her house. This put a smile on her face.

By the time I got home it was 4:00PM. I took my shoes off, put on my comfy slippers, put on the late afternoon news on my TV and sat down in my recliner to watch the news.

This is when it all started. I must have fallen asleep immediately. The adventure I went through in my dream had everything to do with what went on earlier in the day.

My dream started out with me shoveling snow in front of a retail store. I was on the sidewalk in front of the store clearing away the snow. The good part is that I was almost finished clearing the snow from in front of the store. This storefront sidewalk had to be as long as big city block. I'm feeling beat, as though I was shoveling snow for several hours in front of the store. A good feeling has come over me, knowing that my snow shoveling job has finally come to an end.

As I'm standing outside in front of the store, I look up to the front outside wall of the store and a big lighted sign reads "WALL CLOCKS MAMMOTH MART." I'm thinking to myself, "Where am I?"

My curiosity overwhelming me, I decide to go into the store and have a look. Well let me tell you that this is the largest store I have ever seen. It would probably take 5 to 10 minutes to walk from the front of this store to the back. This is how large this store is.

The second thing I notice, after the store size, are wall clocks. Walking down the main isle, I'm thinking that there must be every type of wall clock in the universe on display here. This is amazing!

There was a display for every type of wall clock imaginable. These displays seemed to be set up in random order. As I slowly walked from the front of the store to the back I saw wall clock styles such as Country, Children's, Novelty, Antiqued, Kitchen, Cuckoo, Modern/Contemporary, Rustic/Lodge, Retro, Traditional, Whimsical, Old World, Sports/Collegiate, Neon and the list went on and on and on...

On display along with the style of each wall clock was a sample of the different types of finishes these wall clocks came in such as Brass, Wrought Iron, Medium Wood, Dark Wood, Light Wood, Black, White, Silver/Chrome, Multi-Colored, Rattan/Wood, Blues, Bronze, Greens, Brass-Antique/Satin, Pewter, Stainless Steel and this list of finishes also went on and on and on...

As if this wasn't enough information for each wall clock display to provide, each display also provided samples of available features some of these wall clocks offered, such as Day Clock, Musical, Atomic Clock, World Clock, Single Chime Clock, Dual Chime Clock, Triple Chime Clock, Gallery Clock, Weather Clock, Neon Clock, Picture Frame Clock and With Pendulum. Like I said about style and finish, this list also went on and on and on...

There were themed wall clocks such as Animal, Educational, Floral, Food and Drink, Holiday, Retro, Scenic, Sports/Cars and Tropical/Nautical. There were clock types such as Indoor Clock, Outdoor Clock and Indoor/Outdoor Clock. There were clock number types such as Roman Numerals, Arabic/Standard and No Numbers. There were samples of display types such as Analog and Digital, not to mention sample of shapes such as Rectangular, Round, Square and Novelty Shapes.

I'm telling you, these wall clocks come in sizes from small to as large as 7 feet in diameter, for those who are interested in a wall clock in the size of their choosing.

By the time I reached the back of the store I was well educated in Wall Clocks. I was amazed at what was available to choose from when it came to these wall hanging time pieces. I thought to myself that not only do these wall clocks supply me with the time of day, along with other optional features, these wall clocks provide an artful and elegant touch to the room in which they hang.

And then all of a sudden as if it was the top of the hour all the chiming, musical, cuckoo, bell and electronic clocks rang out in one tremendous alarm. This woke me up as I jumped from my recliner. I realized I was only dreaming about this humongous wall clock store. I thought to myself what a wonderfully strange dream.

My afterthoughts of my dream were me thinking, "Is there really a store of that size dedicated to wall clocks?" After pondering over that thought for a few minutes, I came to the conclusion that the only place you could find the variety and selection of the wall clocks in my dream, would be to shop online.

If a new wall clock is in your future, don't just dream about it, go online and see all the endless options awaiting you.

No comments:

Post a Comment