Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Of palaces, castles and cathedrals" Zento's photos about Segovia, Spain

A TripAdvisor™ TripWow slideshow of a travel blog to Segovia, Spain by TravelPod blogger Zento titled "Of palaces, castles and cathedrals" Zento's travel blog entry: "This Sunday's stop was the old city of Segovia. I had been here before once with my Dad when I was 11 years old and I had a few vague memories. Like the medieval tavern-like restaurant with a front view of the Roman Aqueduct where he ordered suckling pig and I refused to eat it because I was so sad for the baby pig. He made me eat it anyway and I loved it. This time, Mom, Dad, Sophie, Ed and I went together to relive my old fading memories. Our first stop was the Palacio Real de la Granja de San Ildefonso. This was the summer palace for the Spanish monarchs of the 18th century. We didn't actually go in the palace as we decided to take the time to visit the gardens which were much more attractive. White marble statues and Neoclassical vases adorned the main gardens together with the beds of perfectly selected flowers. The gardens were a never-ending maze of avenues leading to dazzling pompous fountains with lead statues painted with auburn bronze-like paint. Unfortunately all of the fountains were turned off; since they use up too much water, they are made functional only three times a year. All of the fountains were dedicated to some pagan god or goddess, or mythical figures and animals such as Poseidon, Diana, Apollo, Andromeda, Saturn, dragons in half moons, cherubs riding swans, dolphins spewing water ...



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N4cTtO1fdg&hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment